DIning & GROCERIES
As freshmen, you are required to be on a meal plan. The meal plan consists of a certain number of meals as well as Dining Dollars. The meals can be used at five dining halls: 1920 Commons, New College House Dining Hall, Hill Dining Hall, the Cafe at McClelland (in the Quad), and Kings Court Dining Hall. Retail dining options which accept Dining Dollars include Houston Market in Houston Hall, Joe’s Café in Steinhardt-Dietrich Hall, and the Starbucks and other dining options in the basement of 1920 Commons. Other cafés and snacking options around campus may not take Dining Dollars but often accept Penn Cash.
Penn also has a wide variety of cuisines from Vietnamese to Lebanese and classic American food available in the restaurants on and around campus. Philadelphia is renowned for its amazing culinary scene and there are restaurant weeks in the Spring and Fall which give you the chance to sample some of Philly’s finest restaurants at discounted rates. Don’t miss it!
Within walking distance/around campus
- The Fresh Grocer (also known as Frogro), 4001 Walnut St, (215) 222-9200
- International Supermarkets:
- Dana Mandi, 4211 Chestnut St, (215) 387-5250
- International Foods and Spices, 4203 Walnut St, (215) 222-4480
- Makkah Market, 4249 Walnut St, (267) 838-9948
Convenience food shopping and late night snacks
- Wawa, 3744 Spruce Street, (215) 387-0029
- Wawa, 3604 Chestnut Street, (215) 222-6422
- 7-Eleven, 3440 Market Street, (215) 222-1317
- Weekly Farmers’ Markets bring fresh fruits and veggies on Penn’s campus. You can find them at 36th and Walnut Street (in front of the Penn Bookstore) every Wednesday, 10AM – 3PM.
In Center City
- Trader Joe’s, 2121 Market Street, (215) 569-9282
- It is accessible by taking the 37th Street Trolley Eastbound and getting off at 22nd Street. Trader Joe’s is on the northern side of Market Street.
- Whole Foods Market, 2001 Pennsylvania Avenue, (215) 557-0015
- Reading Terminal Market, 51 N 12th Street, (215) 922-2317
- For fresh and local fruits, vegetables, cheeses, baked goods, and lots more at reasonable prices.